The perfect Thanksgiving menu to boost flavours and wellness!
Americans are celebrating Thanksgiving this week, on the heels of a decidedly dramatic election season. Why not set the table with love and forget all about that other stuff (America will be good again, we know that). Choose clean, in season, flavorful ingredients that don’t demand much time in the kitchen. Crisp carrots, nutty Brussels sprouts, stuffing and more – these ingredients are sure to please.
I will be enjoying American Thanksgiving (I’m Canadian) in Ann Arbor, Michigan with my brother. It’s an annual trip I make to visit and enjoy his culinary talents. I will be posting pics for you to enjoy.
Love each other. Give thanks. Give plenty of thanks – for it is generosity and gratitude that drive love.
I am filled with gratitude for all of you. Each sister and brother who walks the walk of wellness with me, makes my heart grow a little bigger. I love my job. Thank you for you.
PS. Here’s your Eat Clean® Thanksgiving menu. Bon appetit!
PSS. Recipes like these are a great reason to join my Membership Program where new recipes and workouts are at your fingertips every week. Try Commit, Boost or Engage at www.toscareno.com.
TOSCA RENO’S EAT CLEAN® THANKSGIVING MENU
ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms, diced
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 8 baby Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a roasting pan or large skillet.
- Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Remove the mushrooms to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the shallots to the pan and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add Brussels sprouts and potatoes. Mix well to coat with pan juices and shallots.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast in hot oven until the vegetables are golden.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and stir in the butter and lemon juice.
- Transfer to a platter and top with mushrooms.
- 1 1/4 pounds sourdough bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow cooking onion, peeled and finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 to 5 cups homemade chicken or vegetable
- 2 large whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread cubed bread onto a large baking sheet (or 2 smaller baking sheets) in an even layer and bake, stirring a few times, until lightly golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled, put the cubes into a very large preparation bowl.
- Increase oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- Combine mushrooms in large baking dish.
- Toss with 3 tablespoons coconut oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in hot oven, until soft and golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining tablespoon coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock and herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Let simmer.
- Add mushrooms to bread.
- Add the onion/stock mixture, egg, salt and pepper, and gently stir until combined.
- Dressing will be wet.
- Transfer mixture into greased 13” by 9” by 2” glass baking dish.
- Cover with parchment paper and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove parchment paper and continue baking until the top is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool several minutes before serving.
MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- PREP TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 20 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
- YIELD: 4 servings
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, skin on, diced into 2-inch pieces
- 2-4 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Steam sweet potatoes in their skins, until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer cooked sweet potatoes to bowl of a food processor and puree.
- Add 2 Tbsp maple syrup and cinnamon and mix well.
- Taste for sweetness – add more maple syrup if desired.
- Serve hot.
EAT CLEAN® CRANBERRY SAUCE
- 2 bags fresh cranberries (8 oz each)
- 1 organic orange, juice and zest (this is important as we will be eating the skin)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp unrefined sea salt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Rinse cranberries.
- Zest orange and set zest aside.
- Place cranberries in a large pot on medium-low heat.
- Juice orange over cranberries.
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup water, vanilla extract, salt, and orange zest.
- Cook for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until berries pop.
- Add maple syrup to taste/
- Store covered in the fridge.
ROAST TURKEY BREAST
- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 split bone-in, skin-on turkey breast (about 2 1/2 lb)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp organic lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest from above organic lemon
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp unrefined salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 chopped apples + 2 chopped onions
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spread chopped apples and onions on bottom of roasting pan.
- Set a rack in the pan.
- Place turkey breast, skin-side-up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut oil, lemon juice and zest, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Slide your fingers under the skin of the turkey breast, loosening it from turkey breast meat without removing it completely.
- Using your hands, rub herb-oil mixture under skin and all over turkey breast meat.
- Roast, skin-side-up, for 50 to 60 minutes or until thermometer reads 165°F.
- Cover turkey with foil and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. Remove and discard skin, then cut turkey breast from bone. Slice meat an
RAW VEGAN CARROT CAKE PROTEIN BALLS
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1 serving vanilla plant-based protein powder (about 35 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
MIXTURE TO ROLL PROTEIN BALLS IN:
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Add cashews, oats, dates, applesauce, protein powder, and spices to the food processor.
- Process until coarse dough forms, several minutes.
- Add the grated carrot and pecans until thoroughly mixed. The dough will appear slightly sticky..
- Roll dough into balls, roll each one in the raw cacao/cinnamon/sugar mixture and place on a clean cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set. Store uneaten balls in an airtight container in the fridge.