7 ways almonds up your Eat Clean snack game
Almonds are a key food in a busy, Eat Clean life. These nuts, which grow on trees, tick off many boxes from being plant-based, portable, delicious, nutritious and high in protein to also being sustainable. In short, almonds are the perfect food for your Clean Living lifestyle.
If you were to spend a day with me you would find this to be true. Almonds or almond-based foods are everywhere on my menu, that’s how perfectly they align with my Eat Clean principles.
Here’s what a sample Tosca Reno Almond day might look like:
Pre-workout snack:2 teaspoons natural almond butter + 2 Medjool dates
Post-workout breakfast:2 slices Paleo Loaf* (made with almond meal) + 2 tablespoons natural almond butter
Mid-morning snack: A handful of unsalted almonds + 1 piece of in-season fruit
Lunch: Mixed Greens Salad topped with salad vegetables, 2 tablespoons slivered almonds and 4 oz. protein
Mid-afternoon snack: 2 tablespoons Classic Almond Butter Hummus* + 1 cup raw crudités
Dinner: Almond Encrusted Tilapia, ½ cup brown rice, 2 cups in season, steamed vegetables
Evening Snack: Handful of Spicy Nut Mix + cup of herbal tea
*recipe included below
It’s easy to see that almonds fit into a healthy, clean living lifestyle at any point in the day. They are a highly versatile food that can be enjoyed savoury or sweet. Their versatility as a nourishing snack is undeniable.
When I travel, these beautiful brown nuts factor in even more strongly. Clearing security with any food can feel impossible but almonds travel perfectly. I usually mix them with dates and small pieces of dark chocolate, place them in a small container and have them in my carry on. That way I’m never at a loss for what to eat when I’m on international flights where snack and food offerings are decidedly not clean.
Their neat little packages make almonds easy to transport and neat to eat right out of your hand. Just 12 almonds and a steaming cup of herbal tea will keep you satisfied and nourished. Rich in protein, fibre, healthy fats and flavour, almonds are just the right snack.
Keep natural almonds in your cooler or your car, gym bag or purse too.
Almonds are an ideal Eat Clean food that keeps your weight loss and wellness goals on track.
Here are 7 ways to make your day an almond day too:
1. Carry almonds with you wherever you go as a natural and satisfying, clean snack. Easy to eat out of hand, and requiring no additional packaging, almonds are efficient and eco-friendly.
2. Use almond butter as part of your pre-workout nourishment especially when paired with a quick-release fruit like dates or banana.
3. Add almonds to a plant-based diet as a solid protein source. Every 1-ounce serving (about 23 nuts) delivers 6 grams of protein.
4. Add almonds to salads and other recipes to increase fibre intake. Those same 23 nuts will drive up your fibre intake by 4 grams.
5. Satisfy your fat needs with almonds: a 1oz serving contains 14 grams of heart-friendly monounsaturated fats. Healthy fats also keep you satiated longer.
6. Increase your antioxidant score by eating almonds with the brown skin on. There are 20 powerful antioxidants + loads of vitamin E that help to reduce inflammation.
7. Almonds are versatile in any diet as they can be made into milk and butter, chopped, ground or slivered. They can be eaten sweet or savoury, as snacks or main meals.
Almonds truly are your ideal go-to Eat Clean snack. Eat your way to wellness with these little beauties.
What is your favourite way to consume almonds? Have a favourite recipe? Please share in the comments below.
Remember, I am always listening.
PS. I just have to share one of my all-time favourite almond-based recipes with you. The Paleo Loaf is versatile and delicious. You can enjoy it savoury or sweet.